Today’s healthcare environment is comprised of teams of professionals working toward common goals. When the organization sets a goal, there is generally a project to launch and support the goal to its completion. Health informatics professionals are participants and leaders in projects involving the implementation of new technologies or in the training and maintenance that will take place after the technologies are in place. A project such as the adoption of an electronic health record (EHR) across a healthcare system takes significant planning, strong leadership, and the ability to manage change in the environment. Informatics professionals need to be skilled in all of the aspects of project management, including its evaluation and ongoing revisions, as the organization grows into everyday usage of the new technologies.
For this task, you will read the attached “EHR Project Management Team.”
Note: Responses to the tasks listed should be completed in an essay format (suggested length of 5–6 pages), with descriptions given to clarify conceptual understanding.
A. Examine elements of the vendor selection process by doing the following:
1. Justify how a cost-benefit analysis will help to focus the vendor selection process.
2. Discuss the difference between a request for information and request for proposal.
a. Explain why one might be preferred.
b. Explain why both may be used.
3. Identify the elements included in writing a request for proposal.
a. Determine who would be the contact person for gathering information on each element.
4. Discuss how you would establish a good working relationship with vendors and company representatives involved in the selection process for new technology.
B. List four functional electronic health record (EHR) applications needed by clinical end-users in the acute care setting.
1. Describe how each application may be used.
2. Identify specific human resources needed in the acute care setting to facilitate implementation of new technology, including training needs.
3. Discuss one strategy that might be used when introducing new technology to enable it to interoperate with old technology in the acute care setting.
C. List three functional electronic health record (EHR) applications needed by clinical end-users in the outpatient setting.
1. Explain how each functional electronic health record (EHR) application may be used.
2. Identify specific human resources needed in an outpatient setting to facilitate implementation of new technology.
D. Compare two models being used today in health information exchanges.
1. Describe benefits to developing health information exchanges.
2. Describe current challenges impacting more widespread implementation of health information exchanges.
E. Explain three factors to be considered by an organization in providing a personal health record to patients.
1. Identify two businesses or organizations outside of the scenario offering a personal health record service.
2. Identify three qualities of a personal health record which should be determined before its adoption.
F. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
Note: When bulleted points are present in the task prompt, the level of detail or support called for in the rubric refers to those bulleted points.
Use the following scenario when writing the paper and answering the above questions.
EHR Project Management Team Scenario
You have been working for the past several months as a member of a project management team in a healthcare organization that made the decision to adopt the electronic health record (EHR) throughout its system. The system consists of one 50-bed hospital and several outpatient clinics. Organizational leadership has been pleased with the project thus far.
The EHR Project Management Team has gathered information on organizational needs. Focus groups and informational sessions were held at the hospital and in each of the outpatient facilities. In addition to the needs identified in employee focus groups, the organizational leadership team has identified two elements for the project management team to address while developing the request for proposal: selecting the vendor and planning for the phases of launching the electronic health record throughout the system.
The leadership directive is to provide all patients with an option of building a personal health record provided by the organization. The second mandate from administration is that in planning for the selection of the electronic record and its implementation, the organization should consider future initiatives in participating in regional health information exchanges. There have been preliminary discussions with an academic research hospital and two other healthcare organizations of a size similar to yours. The leadership at all four institutions have agreed to pursue this idea with a focus on providing higher quality care and convenience to healthcare consumers in the region.
The focus areas for the EHR Project Management Team are these: select a vendor who can accommodate the needs of the hospital and ambulatory care facilities, provide the framework for a personal health record for patients, and meet future networking capabilities in forming a regional health information exchange.
The request for proposal needs to list these diverse requirements as critical components of the system to be purchased. A cost-benefit analysis must be performed, and the project management team leader will meet with all department managers to identify “super-users” from each functional area. Financial resources and the allocation of human resources to this project are an integral part of its continued success.