Diagnosing a Personality Disorder
Diagnosing a personality disorder can be extremely challenging and individuals with personality disorders are frequently misdiagnosed. In this Discussion, you will examine a diagnosis for a client with a personality disorder and discuss the factors that complicate that diagnosis.
- Review this week’s Learning Resources.
- Focus on the reasons diagnosis of personality disorders is difficult.
- Review the section on personality disorders in the DSM.
- Select a personality disorder from the DSM for the focus of your Discussion post.
- Put the name of the diagnosis you chose in the subject line of your post.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 4 a summary of the personality disorder you selected, as well as a brief description of a treatment approach you would recommend. Then, explain why giving this diagnosis may be complicated.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
Read a sampling of your colleagues’ postings. Consider how your colleagues’ postings match or differ from your own perceptions or analysis.
Respond by Day 6 to at least one posting that used a different case study from the one you chose in any of the following ways:
- Ask a probing question.
- Share an insight from having read your colleague’s posting.
- Offer and support an opinion.
- Validate an idea with your own experience.
- Make a suggestion.
- Expand on your colleague’s posting.