SIZE REDUCTION PLANT DESIGN PROJECT 22
Design a detailed size reduction plant under the following guidelines:
1) Select an ore type, composition, and tonnage throughput.
2) Start the design with crushing of ore in the mine and end with the feed to a gravity
separation or flotation process.
3) Avoid the use of AG/SAG mills.
4) Use mathematical models where applicable.
5) Take into consideration scheduled maintenance and unexpected breakdowns.
6) Consider potential pollution issues and remedies.
7) Select, size and cost major and auxiliary equipment.
8) Include instrumentation and control.
9) Illustrate the plant flow sheet and on it show the identifying details of each equipment
(type, size, HP, etc.) and relevant data for each stream (particle size, dry tonnage, %
10) Provide a summary of equipment used with their specifications.
11) Estimate the capital, operating, and maintenance costs of the plant.
12) In the design process, obtain any needed data from literature sources as much as
possible. If necessary, assumptions may be made with good justification and reasoning.
Submit a report, with detailed and step-by-step explanation of how the plant design was developed, including arguments and justifications for the choices and decisions made. Make use of appendices as appropriate.